There are two words you either dread or welcome each year: spring cleaning. For those that love to freshen the stale interior air, get rid of dust and change out winter things, the start of warmer weather is an exciting time. For those that don’t want to organize and clean, spring can feel like a very rough transition season.
Luckily, spring cleaning doesn’t have to be a dreaded chore. Doing everything on the list over a period of time will help you warm up and enjoy the weather more, instead of being stuck cleaning on beautiful days. Check out these main areas of focus to help get started and ready for the end of winter!
- Winter has been brutal this year in many parts of the country. Snow and freezing temperatures went on for months, ultimately wearing and tearing down everything on the exterior of your home. Starting here will give you a good idea of what the rest of the to-do list will look like. Some common areas to look at are window/door seals, roof tiles, siding, gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure your home’s heating, vent, and air system is working properly. If you skip this step, you might find yourself without air conditioning on a hot summer day!
- Clean all windows and doors, and then dust all visible surfaces. The lack of air movements during winter months (due to closed windows) allowed dust and other particles to settle. Leaving them open for a while will also help refresh the air.
- Become a little more conscious about where you leave uncovered food. Warm weather brings out more bugs, and what used to be okay in the winter, can now cause unwanted attention. Cover anything that’s sitting on the counter and ensure trash is properly stored and covered.
- Take down any curtains or blankets and give them a good deep clean. They’ve collected dust from not only general air circulation, but are also probably near vents, which blow winter air directly onto them.
While there are many other things that can be included on a spring cleaning list, we hope these help get you started. Do you have any to share? Be sure to leave a comment below!